This is one of those questions for which there are multiple right answers. As in, the time to replace your AC system has both subjective and objective considerations.
So the best we can do right now is give you a pretty good when you should at least start THINKING about replacing it, especially if you’re not a fan of complete system shut-downs. You know, that thing that happens when you wait a little too long upgrade to a new and more robust central AC system.
- Nose-bleed electricity bills. If you suddenly find yourself paying 20% or more than normal for household electricity, and the only thing you’re doing differently is running your AC system, you can be certain that the latter already has lost a big percentage of its former energy efficiency. Not only can a new, high efficiency system roll back those increases, but take you considerably below that point – all the way to covering the cost of your new AC system in as little as just a few years.
- Hot and cold spots here and there. A well-designed and maintained AC system will provide equal amounts of cool air in all areas of your home. If that’s not the case, then any number of things can be wrong, including leaks or cracks in your ductwork that are allowing cool air to escape into your attic.
- Noisy operation. Air conditioning systems are designed to be so quiet, you barely notice they’re on. But if yours starts making strange and unpleasant noises, it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s effective lifespan is over. It does mean, however, that your system requires professional attention since the noises are not going to vanish on their own.
- More frequent and costly repairs. If you hang onto your AC system long enough, sooner or later it’s going to be like the dam that keeps springing new leaks – you patch one up, and two more take its place. Sooner or later, it’s just not worth spending even one more dollar to fix something that surely is going to break again.
- Growing a little long in the tooth. The average lifespan of an air conditioning system is 15 – 20 years. So, just how old is yours? If you’re not sure, jot down the serial number and call the manufacturer. Knowing its exact age will help you answer the eternal question: to repair or not to repair yet again.
So how about it – is it time to consider something a whole lot more reliable and energy efficient than your current AC system? If so, we invite you contact the home comfort professionals at Burton today for an in-home consultation and new system quote.