Air conditioners are the true MVPs of summer. To keep your A/C running like a star athlete (and to lower your summer energy bills!), follow this easy checklist to optimize your system’s performance:
- Get a full system inspection and tune-up. A system inspection will reveal any leaks, cracks, or inefficiencies that could be costing you a pretty penny this summer. And the quick tune-up will take care of any minor repairs or replacements needed to improve your unit’s performance— before you’ve got a major fix on your hands.
- Clean your condenser unit. If your branches, bushes, or landscaping are crowding out your A/C’s condenser, trim them back. For maximum efficiency, give your unit space to breathe! While you’re at it, sweep away any leaves or debris around the base of your condenser and vacuum out the unit (always turn it off first).
- Replace your air filters. You should put in fresh air filters every 30-90 days, depending on your family’s needs and if you have indoor pets. Clean filters instantly boost the efficiency of your air conditioner and extend its life. For more info, check out our Homeowner Hack for how to quickly find and replace these filters.
- Close your windows and blinds. Save on your energy bills by keeping your windows covered and blinds closed during the day, or in rooms you aren’t using.
- Keep your vents open. It’s a common myth that closing the vents in rooms you don’t use will lower your energy bills. In reality, closed vents put extra stress on your unit because it must work harder to force the air through fewer vents. Keep your vents open and clear of furniture or other blockages to extend the life of your A/C system.
- Shade your thermostat. Protect your thermostat from direct sunlight, lamps, or electronics that produce heat. This helps your thermostat read the indoor temperature more accurately, so your A/C isn’t overworked.
When it’s time for an A/C tune-up, repair, or replacement, Just Call Burton
The last thing you need in the middle of the hot Omaha summer is a broken A/C and a repair service that can’t get to you for a week. That’s why the expert technicians here at Burton offer ASAP A/C service, reliable repairs, and a customer satisfaction guarantee. To put Burton to the test, call (402) 934-7003.