How to Protect Against 6 Home Hazards

Posted by

Older home or more contemporary model, there’s always work to be done to keep it in the best possible shape. You’re tired of the kitchen paint color, your fridge ice maker doesn’t work, a strange noise is coming from your water heater…the possibilities are seemingly endless.

But while the issues above are more annoyances than anything else, there are several home hazards that could impact family safety. Let’s examine six of them.

Lead – If your home was built before 1980, chances are some surfaces were covered with lead-based paint. Since long term exposure can cause serious health consequences, start by purchasing a test kit at a nearby home improvement center.

If the test turns out positive, you’ll need a lead-certified professional to remove the paint and dispose of it properly.

Asbestos – A material commonly used in homes built before the 1970s, asbestos has been linked to a slew of health problems including lung cancer. If you suspect an area of your home has asbestos, contact a certified asbestos professional to perform an evaluation and determine an appropriate course of action.

Radon – Radon is a radioactive gas that occurs when uranium in rock, water, and soil breaks down and moves up through the ground into you home via cracks, gaps, or holes in the foundation. It has been linked to cancer which makes mitigation crucial. Affordable radon test and mitigation kits can be purchased at home improvement stores, but if you are buying or selling a house, you may want to hire a qualified tester and mitigation company. Testing is especially important in towns and neighborhoods prone to radon infestation.

Termites – Because termites literally eat away at your home, you’ll want to put a stop to an infestation before it gets out of hand and results in costly damage. Keep the area around your foundation dry, remove any dead plant material around the exterior in a timely manner, and call a trusted pro to apply treatment if needed.

Mold – Several conditions can lead to mold, such as poor ventilation, high humidity levels, indoor plumbing leaks, and excessive moisture. If left untreated, mold can cause allergic reactions and other health issues. To keep mold away, keep indoor humidity levels low, repair any leaks immediately, and dry wet surfaces promptly. If you notice large areas of mold in your home, contact a qualified professional for mold and mildew remediation.

Electrical Shock and Fire – Repair any loose or faulty outlets and switches and check power cords for signs of damage. Make sure your home is equipped with GFCI and AFCI outlets; today, in fact, they’re by electrical code in new home construction.

Here at Burton’s, there’s a great deal we can do to improve your family’s indoor comfort, convenience, and safety. From whole-house wiring inspections to checking your water pressure (to help prevent burst pipes) and ensuring your home is carbon monoxide free, contact Burton to learn more or schedule service at your convenience.